Wednesday, January 22, 2014

ENCOURAGING READERS FROM THE HEART

Most writers are bookworms. It is simply a part of what draws them toward their craft, however, I was not always that way. I was a high-octane child who had plenty of other things to do besides stick my nose in a book. It wasn’t until later in life that I developed my love of reading and consequently writing as well. My hope, as I continue with my craft, is that I will be able to encourage and develop non-readers into readers.

I never could understand how my sisters could spend an entire day with their nose stuffed in some romance novel. Living on a ranch in the mountains of Colorado I always had plenty of other things to do and 98% of them were outside. Reading any book beyond Dr. and the Berensteins was a waste of time and effort and I simply didn’t have the patience for anything much larger. I did develop a taste for “The Sugar Creek Gang” books, but that was pretty much the extent of my literary tastes until I was older and started reading Louis L’Amour westerns and I read the entire New Testament of the bible three times during my high school years. What I did learn from my younger years of sparse reading was that books allowed me to live in another place and time and enjoy things that were beyond my reach.

I fought reading all of the way through high school, in spite of the requirement for English classes. I was able to interview my classmates who willingly spilled the information that I needed to pass the tests and survived my English classes because even in high school I could write an impressive line of B.S. I did manage to read “Red Badge of Courage,” because it was only about a half inch thick and didn’t take a long time to read. When I had to write papers, I did them on Louis L’Amour books.

When I arrived in college, all of that changed in a hurry. I started reading like a man who had just left the desert desired water. A whole new world was suddenly opened up to me and I never looked back. Those dull and boring “classics” that I was supposed to read in high school came alive in the mind of an adult reader who was eager to learn and eager to explore. The high-octane with which I had pursued life as a non-reader was transformed into my new life as a reader. As a result I began to think more clearly and blend that with the practical knowledge which came from my non-reading youth. With that came my ability to see through the B.S. that comes out of people’s mouths, pens, typewriters and computers; especially those who think they are wise. “Believing that they are wise; they will become fools”… that’s from my bible reading days.

As a writer, I don’t write as a bookworm. I understand the mechanics and the tricks of the trade, but my thought process is to enjoy a conversation with my reader and tell a story. I have intentionally made my books small, because I understand the half-inch rule (if it’s more than a half-inch thick, it aint worth reading), not because I don’t enjoy larger books, but because I know how some readers think. Connected to that was the publishing of my first book with Senserial. Senserial’s main thrust is the serial novel which was the way that most people read books in the early 20th century. With Senserial, however, the weekly episodes also include graphics and a sound track. Read my book “Wolf of the Highlands” in all 12 episodes at Senserial.com. Read my two historical romance novels from the Belle of Colombia Series; “Zipaquirá” and “Rionegro” (each only 100 pages), by stopping by my website at www.bil-howard.net and encourage others to check it out as well.

I am not only practicing my art but I am encouraging others to read, including children. I will soon have two children’s picture books available as well. In the mean time, check out the link to this excellent reading program, Children Learning Reading (Click Here!), and learn how you also can help turn a non-reader into a reader and expand their world. This is an essential task if we are going to preserve our freedom and our future. I hope you don't mind if I make a little profit off of my efforts in both areas so that I can continue to do what I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment